Saturday, November 8, 2014

Installment #2

Here is the 2nd part of my pre Christmas Story. The final of the not printed story will follow next week with book signing the following week, Nov. 22nd at Pioneer Book (450 W Center St, Provo, UT ). AGAIN: This is a rough draft.


A couple days later Cassandra again took the time to log into her dating accounted. A message from October 31st wished her a happy Halloween from Bikerdude. A ping indicated that he too had logged onto the sight. They chatted for a while.
            "I'd better go, early day." she sent.
            "Can i get your email"
            "Why?"
            "i have a microphone fo it."
            "But it reminds me of 2nd grade to read your messages now." She sent that then quickly added her email address in the next message.
            "hey...thanks."
            The following day there was an email for her.
            "As much as I've loved improving my one handed typing this is much better. I must rebuff your comment about second grade though. I usually get to at least third. With no capitalization of anything. I can hit shift and a letter at the same time with one hand but it takes a lot longer. I'd hate for you to log off while waiting for me to capitalize. Auto correct only catches some of them. So tell me about where you grew up."
            Cassandra sat to type her reply.
            "Yes it is nice to see you spelling words correctly with capitals and everything. I don't know for sure if you know how to spell them or if your computer does it for you but I guess I shouldn't judge a man solely on his ability to spell, although I did decide not to vote for a candidate once because he spelled a lot as one word more than once in his voter information. Was that wrong?
Mom and I moved a few times but we settled here when I was fifteen and I've stayed ever since. My favorite place was this little house we rented for a couple years in the country. We even had chickens.
            What about you?"

            The ping of his reply came while she brushed her teeth.

            "Me? No, no chickens but I spend a lot of time in the country. I'm staying here while I recover. There are times I think it might have been fun to move, usually after I'd been dumped, but I lived in one house all my life. My parents still live there. You didn't mention a father?"

Her response:  "This is about the same as messaging. I never knew my father. He sent money sometimes. Don't worry, I don't miss him. From the stories my mother told me he was very manipulative. He and his wife separated and got back together more than once. None of us know if my mom was the reason for one of the separations or came along during one. But as soon as she learned he was married she ended it only speaking to him to let him know about me. She was the most amazing woman I've ever known."

           This time his message was back before she could empty her junk mail folder.
            "Was?"
            "Mom died about three years ago. Now goodnight."
           

            The next day Cassandra worked a few extra hours, allowing a coworker to watch her son's championship soccer game. By the time she arrived home she ate dinner and climbed into bed. When she checked her email the following day there were two messages from Bikerdude.
            "I miss you today," was all one said.
            She opened the other one.
           "So sorry to hear about your mom. She must have been a great woman to have you for a daughter. Sometimes I wish I were more like my mom and less my dad. He isn't the unpleasant man your dad must be but he is impatient sometimes and often speaks without thinking. I apologize in advance for when I act impulsively or say something stupid.
What is the most exciting thing that has happened in your life lately?"

            She heated up dinner while she thought what to tell him. He acted as if he knew her already with his comment about her and her mother.

            "Thanks for that complement but you hardly know me. There are times I have regrets too. I try to be the kind of person my mom was and I am in many ways but she was very passionate and let her heart lead. Me, I'm all logic. Especially now.
            "As far as the most exciting thing that has happened in my life lately. How lately? In the last few minutes: The sweet thoughts your comment brought. Weeks: the baby born at the hospital last week. She has Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome, which is a rare genetic disorder that causes delays in growth and mental functioning but the parents seem great so she will have a better chance at a full life than some healthy children. Last year...let's not go there, but a little over two years ago I found out that I have a half-sister and now she is my best friend. That was one of the most exciting things in my life."

            After sending the message Cassandra left the computer and shut off her phone. She had to avoid the temptation of staying up waiting for a response. She had a hot date the next day.


            The agreed upon time to meet her date had come and gone. Cassandra sat alone, sipping her second glass of water. The waitress stopped again to see if she wanted anything.
            "Sorry, I guess I've been stood up and I'm not very hungry. How much for the water?" Cassandra asked digging into her purse.
            "Don't worry about it," the waitress gave her a sympathetic smile.
            Fishing a couple ones from her wallet Cassandra called to the waitress wishing she had more cash. She couldn't add a tip to a credit card since she hadn't ordered anything.
            "So what are you going to order?" Just like his picture, a man who matched the cliché of tall, dark, and handsome dropped into the chair across from her. "Sorry I got caught up at work."
            The waitress returned and took their orders.
            "So you're Boe? Your profile said you work in retail.
            "Yep, I'm up for a promotion soon."
            "Congratulations. What exactly do you do?"
            "I work at an athletic store. It's great, when we're slow I can use the equipment. I get paid to exercise."
            "There are times I wish I did, then I might be more motivated."
            "It's all about what you want. You have to want it more than anything else."
            The ice shifted in Cassandra's glass and she picked it up to take a drink. He copied her wiping the condensation from the side of his glass. An appetizer sounded very good right now. If they were eating the silence might not feel as heavy.
            "So, you're a nurse?"
            "Yep."
            "Do you like it?"
            "I do."
            Again Cassandra took a drink. The full glass of water she had drank while waiting had hit her bladder. She fought it for a while but gave up. "Please excuse me."
            Cassandra returned from the bathroom to find Boe talking on his phone. Their food came and his conversation ended. They ate in silence for a while, Cassandra racked her brain for interesting topics she could discuss.
            "How did you get into selling sports equipment?" she finally asked.
            In high school I was all-star in three sports so I spent a lot of time and money there. One thing lead to another and I started working after school. I love my job. How many people can say that?"
            "Not enough." Cassandra stopped here. She could have shared that she liked her job. She could even tell him why but she watched as he focused on his food.
            They shared a few other conversations during the meal but nothing of importance.
            "This has been fun. When do you want to go out again?" Boe asked as he put money into the case ignoring the credit card Cassandra pulled from her wallet.
            "How about you give me your number and I'll call you. It could be a little while. I'm working nights next week."
            "That's cool. Whenever." Boe dropped a generous tip on the table and stood waiting for Cassandra to walk out with him. He pressed a kiss to her cheek and left.
            When she got home she checked to see a message from Bikerdude but didn't take the time to open it. She logged on to the dating website and scrolled through. She looked mostly at the pictures not reading much about the men connected to them.
            "Oh yeah, he was cute, gorgeous even but not a strong conversationalist. Let's see if any of these guys can hold a candle to him. He might be the best choice for the party but Margie will eat him alive if we're stuck talking to her for any length of time. Why can't the perfect man be willing to spend just one night pretending to like me. Good looks, and something worth saying." She looked through the candidates again noting that Bikerdude didn't have a picture.
            There were a few guys she looked deeper at but held no excitement about any of them. "Maybe you'll look better tomorrow." Cassandra headed to bed.

 
            Monday at work Cassandra made the mistake of tell about her boring tall, dark, and handsome date.
            "My cousin Ned is single and very successful. I think he might be just what you are looking for. I planned to meet with him before work tomorrow but something else came up. How about you go instead. I'll text him."
            Cassandra's jaw worked but her voice didn't.
            "I'll tell him one so you'll have time to change before coming in."
            A little before one Cassandra smoothed her jeans over her hips and walked into the cafe. Why had she let Rosa talk her into this. Cassandra scanned the room. If Ned looked anything like a male version of Rosa he would be exactly what she wanted to see. A man wearing a tweed jacket approached her. His light brown hair laid lifelessly on his head. "Cassandra?"
            "Yes?"
            "I'm Ned. Rosa sent me a picture. Thanks for meeting with me. I've only lived in the city a few weeks and I'm having a hard time meeting new people."
            "No problem shall we sit." They found a booth in the corner and Cassandra debated if she wanted a meal or just a snack. A snack would give an easier escape if need arose but it was past lunch.
            "What do you want?" Ned's voice broke into her thoughts.
            "I'm still thinking. What about you?"
            "The chicken platter. It's my favorite."
            "I'll give that a try then." Cassandra closed the menu and set it on the corner of the table. "Did you move here for work?
            "I started a company three years ago and it's grown so much I needed a larger location and more clientele so I came here in search of both."
            "What kind of company."
            Ned told about the coordinating service he provided for large businesses. He arranged temporary and permanent employees for companies who needed help urgently, arranged travel and other menial tasks that overworked secretaries didn't have time to do.
            The afternoon was pleasant and Cassandra had to hurry to make it to work on time. Ned seemed nice but he was not nearly as attractive as Kenny. She didn't want to show up at the party with a subpar date when Kenny would be there as a basis of comparison.
            If she could take Boe's good looks and Ned's personality she would have found her date. There was less than a month until the dreaded occasion. If she didn't find a date soon there wouldn't be time to develop the relationship past the uncomfortable first stages. If there were the case it would be worse than going alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment