Saturday, April 27, 2013

The value of an appendage

While away on a work trip my town received about seven inches of snow. By the time I arrived home the following day the only evidence of the white blanket were the mounds that had been pushed in a parking lot. But in my yard (and a few others) the storm left more on the ground than snow. A branch about 18 inches in diameter had fallen from a massive tree in my yard.

The blessing in this: The tree has to come down so we can build a house in that location. My husband had planned to take it down last summer...As you know things don't always happen when anticipated.

So Saturday, limb by limb, we cut down the tree. It was bittersweet since the tree was a perfect tree house tree but with each "timber" we see the rotten center. How the tree stood as long as it did with that weak center surprised me.

In these adventures I hurt my thumb. Just a small gouge, no big deal. I didn't even stop to get a bandage. I just let it bleed. Monday at work I sat at a computer. Ouch, another word, another ouch. Man, who know such a small injury could cause such discomfort? I use that spot on my thumb to hit the space bar.

What does this have to do with writing? There are several things, symbolism, the huge tree had a dead center. You don't always know what you'll get. Even the smallest things can have large consequences. But me, I think I'll say that you can find an excuse to do (or not do) just about anything. Do you want it bad enough to push through the pain? (All that from a dying tree.)

Now, the wound has healed. I'd love to tell you that is why I haven't spent as much time writing as I should. Or maybe it's work, with only 20 school days left in the year, I am busy. But really, I'm just being a slacker. On a positive note, I'm making strawberry jam. Next time, if I'm not being a slacker, I'll share with you my low sugar recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment